Project Value: $2.5 M
GK Shaw successfully assisted Downer in the construction of a new wharf to service the Holcim cement dome at PrimePort Timaru.
Stage one included temporary strengthening of a 230 m long wharf at the end of its operational life so it could be used as a working platform to support construction loads, including 70 Tonne crawler cranes lifting heavy precast concrete components.
Stage two included construction of a new reinforced concrete wharf structure.
A summary of the project scope:
- Temporary strengthening of timber wharf structure
- Working closely with piling subcontractor
- Communication between various construction teams and management staff
- Construction of new reinforced concrete wharf structure
- Working with crawler cranes and barges
- Working above water
- Demolition of timber wharf structure
- Strict Health & Safety and Environmental requirements
The management staff at PrimePort Timaru recognised our valued input and expertise on the project, and engaged GK Shaw directly after the project was completed to assist them with reviewing options for strengthening degraded timber piles on other wharf structures at Timaru.